Here is a combination of utilities that I have found that works very well in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware, parasites, malware and the like
- Tip: from “Bug busting: Getting Rid of Spyware” Some people and large company’s recommend that System Restore be turned off and all Restore Points deleted before attempting spyware removal. DO NOT DO THIS. If something goes wrong (anything is possible) you will have no way to reverse your actions. You'll want to delete your old Restore Points, but the time to do that is later, not now. Related articles. Purging old System Restore points
- Scan for Virus and Spyware infection. Note: Online virus scanners are not as reliable as software installed scanners. Important: Make a backup of any data that you don’t want to loose, just in case.
- Virus Detection, Removal and Prevention:
- Virus Detection and Removal:
- Virus & Spyware Detection:
- Spyware Detection and Removal:
- Spyware Detection, Removal and Prevention:
- Spyware Prevention
Ad-aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft is a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them safely. Ad-aware PE is does not prevent spyware from being installed. After installing Ad-Aware and before each scan make sure to run the update feature. For large amounts of installed spyware and such, it may be necessary to run Ad-Aware several times to clear them all.
- The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running WindowsXP. WindowsXP users can use Automatic Updates to download and run the tool, or you can visit the Windows Update Web site. To run an online version of the Malicious Software Removal Tool, visit the Malicious Software Removal Tool Web site.
Here are a couple more removal tools that should also be run.
- Spybot Search and Destroy is more powerful and there is a slight chance of problems. Using WinXP create a restore point first before running Spybot.
- SpywareBlaster is a prevention program, unlike most anti-spyware programs which utilize a "removal" approach after your system is already infected. SpywareBlaster effectively prevents ActiveX-based spyware, dialers, browser-hijackers and other malware or potentially unwanted programs from ever installing on your system in the first place.
- For more information on Spyware and the like:
- If you continue to have problems I would suggest going to the AumHa Security Forum where you will find experts in the area of security to assist you with creating reading HijackThis Logs.